Goa food poisoning: Statement of inmates recorded
Panaji: The inquiry committee looking into the last month`s food poisoning incident at two Goa jails has recorded the statement of some of the affected inmates, who have ruled out any foul play.
A high-level magisterial inquiry was ordered by the State Government after the May 31 food poisoning episode at Central Jail at Aguada and sub-jail at Mapusa town, about 15km from the state capital.
One prisoner had died and over 100 others were taken ill after consuming food suspected to be contaminated. The food prepared at Aguada prison is served to inmates at the Mapusa sub-jail also.
The panel, headed by Additional District Collector Dipak Desai, recorded the statement by camping in the jails for over four days, sources said on Saturday.
"Statement of all prisoners were not recorded, but inquiry officers spoke informally to all of them to know what happened on the fateful day," said a senior prison official assisting the probe.
The prisoners ruled out "intentional food poisoning" and suspect it was an accident, he said.
The Desai Committee will also record the statement of policemen, who are probing the incident separately.
The panel will go through the reports of the city- based Goa Medical College and Hospital and government-run district hospital in Mapusa to ascertain the cause of food poisoning.
The government had ordered the inquiry to find out whether there was any negligence on part of jail authorities or foul play behind the incident.
The committee has also been asked to point out defects, if any, in the jail infrastructure and recommend measures to prevent such incidents in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’