Goa formulates road digging policy to curb mishaps
Panaji: The Goa Government has decided to
formulate an `earth digging policy` so as to avoid mishaps due
to recklessness of the contractors.
The administration yesterday issued an order making it
mandatory for the road contractors to take prior permission
from Deputy Collectors before digging.
The Government`s move follows the recent blaze near
the K K Birla Group`s fertiliser manufacturing plant at port
town of Vasco. The fire had erupted after a contractor,
working for Gas Authority of India Ltd (GAIL), damaged a
naptha pipeline while undertaking digging.
"The incident has made it imperative to formulate a
policy on earth digging," according to the administration
South Goa Collector G P Naik has said "due to
ignorance and recklessness of contractors, risk is always
involved in earth digging activities."
"Any organisation, Government Departments, Government
undertakings, private bodies, local bodies or any individual
or legal person who is desirous of undertaking earth digging
should obtain a written permission from the Deputy Collector
and Sub Divisional Magistrate concerned," the order said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use
- Congress plans nationwide media blitz against 2 years of NDA's 'misrule'; to release film, booklet
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today