Goa gears up for `raindrop` tourism
Panaji: In a bid to make Goa an all-season tourist destination while ensuring that it does not lose its steam during monsoons, the state government is readying to add new places to its hotspots itinerary for visitors.
Usually, the sea gets rough during rainy season and visitors are advised to stay away from beaches following which there is a drop in the number of travellers in the state.
But now, waterfalls rushing down the hills in Western Ghats, lush green forest lands and inland waterways are being looked upon as an alternative for beaches, which receive maximum footfalls in non-monsoon months.
State Tourism minister Dilip Parulekar said that the department is now eyeing to develop waterfalls as tourist destinations. A master-plan is being prepared so that these places are made accessible for the visitors.
Parulekar said the beaches get shut during monsoons leading to a lean season.
"We want to change the concept that Goa is only for beaches. We have more variety of destinations to offer for the travellers," he said.
The foreign tourists usually pack-up for their homes during monsoons. The state is then entirely dependent on the domestic crowd.
"Domestic tourists love to be with nature. We will provide them all the facilities so that they have a reason to arrive in Goa," he said.
Ambolim waterfall in Maharashtra and Dudhsgar waterfall on Goa-Karnataka border are prime attraction during monsoons.
Parulekar said that Goa has likes of Ambolim at several places in rural talukas, which can be explored for tourism purposes.
The state government has already announced 50 per cent concession in luxury tax to hotels, which will help them to work out attractive monsoon packages.
Travel and Tourism Association of Goa (TTAG) spokesman Ralf D`Souza said that last year, the occupancy was somewhere around 60 per cent during the lean season.
This year, he said, the occupancy is expected to increase due to lower pricings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic