Goa gets "budget conscious" tourists, says ministe
Panaji: The Goa government on Monday said that the state has earned a reputation of being a "cheap tourist destination" attracting `budget conscious` travellers.
Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar told Goa Legislative Assembly today that the state is holding constant dialogue with the travel and tourism trade members in the state to identify preferred high spending tourist segments.
"Over a period of time, Goa has earned a reputation of being a cheap and friendly tourist destination thereby attracting budget conscious travellers to the state," Parulekar told the Assembly on the first day of the month-long session.
The government has decided to actively participate in roadshows and exhibitions abroad to promote Goa as a high-end tourism destination. Surveys are contemplated in key markets of west and east Europe to evaluate the trends, he said.
Efforts are underway to promote Goa in new markets of far east, south east Asia, Australia, USA, New Zealand with special focus on those countries where outbound tourist figures are witnessing a good trend, the minister said.
Parulekar also stressed for marinas (a dock or basin with moorings and supplies for yachts and small boats), golf course, theme parks, expo centres and others to attract high-end tourists.
Official figures reveal that 4.5 lakh international tourists visited Goa in 2012 calendar year, of which highest were Russians followed by the UK travellers, he said.
The nationals from Russia, Scandinavia, Germany and Switzerland account for highest spending travellers, the minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack