Goa girl critical after suicide attempt
Panaji: The teenage girl, who tried to commit suicide here yesterday, is in critical condition, hospital sources said.
"She is not stable and her health is deteriorating," doctors said.
The 17-year-old girl, who had been allegedly raped by her teacher last year, attempted suicide on Tuesday afternoon, after the accused was bailed out, police said.
Following the incident, the girl had been admitted to Goa Medical College and Hospital with almost 90 per cent burn injuries.
Doctors treating her said that her condition was being monitored continuously.
The girl from class X, studying in the Progress High School, a city-based school, was allegedly raped by her male teacher in December last year, when she had gone to his residence for remedial classes.
Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) has already recorded the girl`s statement in this regard.
Police sources said that the girl has claimed that she set herself on fire as she was afraid that the accused might start troubling her henceforth.
Police Inspector Rajendra Prabhudesai, who is investigating the case, said that legal opinion would be sought on the statement given by the victim before proceeding in the case.
He ruled out the possibility of arresting the accused until there was enough evidence to prove that he had tried to intimidate the victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation