`Goa government appointed 1,423 committees in three years`
Panaji: Over the last three years, Goa has appointed 1,423 government committees at the rate of more than one per day, Chief Minister Digambar Kamat said Monday.
Nearly 722 committees, half the number, have not even met in the last three years after they were formed, opposition benches pointed out during Question Hour in the monsoon session of the Goa legislative assembly.
Kamat said the committees had been formed for various purposes, which included "monitoring of specific issues".
Opposition benches, however, said the rush for appointing committees at the rate of more than one per day, only ended up in mismanagement of affairs.
"Some of these committees are also statutory committees," Kamat said.
"What work do these committees do? Nothing! There is one health department committee, where there is only one member which is the health minister. How do these committees help?" Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar asked.
"The chief minister himself is a chairman of 25 committees," Parrikar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert