`Goa government appointed 1,423 committees in three years`
Panaji: Over the last three years, Goa has appointed 1,423 government committees at the rate of more than one per day, Chief Minister Digambar Kamat said Monday.
Nearly 722 committees, half the number, have not even met in the last three years after they were formed, opposition benches pointed out during Question Hour in the monsoon session of the Goa legislative assembly.
Kamat said the committees had been formed for various purposes, which included "monitoring of specific issues".
Opposition benches, however, said the rush for appointing committees at the rate of more than one per day, only ended up in mismanagement of affairs.
"Some of these committees are also statutory committees," Kamat said.
"What work do these committees do? Nothing! There is one health department committee, where there is only one member which is the health minister. How do these committees help?" Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar asked.
"The chief minister himself is a chairman of 25 committees," Parrikar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!