Goa Governor returns Lokayukta Bill 2011
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Digambar Kamat
on Wednesday said the Governor has referred back the `Goa Lokayukta
Bill 2011` to the state government raising some queries.
Kamat told reporters in Panaji the bill has been
referred to the state Law Department to examine the queries
and write back to the Raj Bhavan.
The bill passed on October 6 by the state legislative
Assembly was referred to the governor`s office a fortnight
When asked to elaborate, Kamat replied, "he did not
know what were the queries raised by Raj Bhavan".
The legislation, initially named as `Goa Lokayukta
Bill 2003`, was passed in 2007 and thereafter referred to the
President, however, it was sent back by the President pointing
out certain queries.
Meanwhile, as the anti-graft movement led by Anna
Hazare gathered steam across the country, the said legislation
was taken up in the Goa Legislative Assembly in the recently
The bill was passed under the new name of the `Goa
Lokayukta Bill 2011`, and was referred to the Governor for his
assent. Kamat said the bill was referred back this week.
Meanwhile, the India Against Corruption (IAC) who was
instrumental in the passage of the bill today alleged that the
decision to refer back the bill smacks of delaying tactics by
the state government.
"The bill should have been directly sent to President
as all the queries pointed out last time were satisfied," IAC
activist Satish Sonak said, adding that the state government
should make public all the objections raised by governor.
"If the government wants to earn the confidence of
public, it should let people know what are the objections
raised," Sonak said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!