Goa Governor returns Lokayukta Bill 2011
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Digambar Kamat
on Wednesday said the Governor has referred back the `Goa Lokayukta
Bill 2011` to the state government raising some queries.
Kamat told reporters in Panaji the bill has been
referred to the state Law Department to examine the queries
and write back to the Raj Bhavan.
The bill passed on October 6 by the state legislative
Assembly was referred to the governor`s office a fortnight
When asked to elaborate, Kamat replied, "he did not
know what were the queries raised by Raj Bhavan".
The legislation, initially named as `Goa Lokayukta
Bill 2003`, was passed in 2007 and thereafter referred to the
President, however, it was sent back by the President pointing
out certain queries.
Meanwhile, as the anti-graft movement led by Anna
Hazare gathered steam across the country, the said legislation
was taken up in the Goa Legislative Assembly in the recently
The bill was passed under the new name of the `Goa
Lokayukta Bill 2011`, and was referred to the Governor for his
assent. Kamat said the bill was referred back this week.
Meanwhile, the India Against Corruption (IAC) who was
instrumental in the passage of the bill today alleged that the
decision to refer back the bill smacks of delaying tactics by
the state government.
"The bill should have been directly sent to President
as all the queries pointed out last time were satisfied," IAC
activist Satish Sonak said, adding that the state government
should make public all the objections raised by governor.
"If the government wants to earn the confidence of
public, it should let people know what are the objections
raised," Sonak said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India