Goa Governor worried over rising crime against women, children
Panaji: Goa Governor BV Wanchoo on Tuesday expressed concern about the rising crimes against women and girl child in the state.
Addressing the Revolution Day function here, Wanchoo said that overall law and order situation in the state remains satisfactory.
"But I am extremely concerned about the increasing number of crimes taking place in this otherwise peaceful state, particularly against our women and the girl child," he said.
"We need to find a stable solution to this perplexing problem, sooner rather than later. Social evils like this tend to create fear and insecurity amongst the people and particularly our women fold and tarnish the fair image of state in particular, and the country on the whole," the Governor said.
Wanchoo said that apart from the government machinery, people in general should pay attention to the social evils that are impending the progress of the state.
The Governor praised the state for maintaining peace and harmony and concentrating on further development in various fields.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar and the freedom fighters, who fought to liberate Goa from Portuguese rule, were amongst the dignitaries present for the Goa Revolution Day.
On this day, freedom fighter Ram Manohar Lohia had given clarion call in 1946 to liberate Goa from the shackles of then Portuguese rule.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!