Goa govt asks miners to release mine pit water
Panaji: Goa government has asked mine owners to pump out water from the mining pits into nearby rivers, as their water level has started dwindling with the onset of summer.
In the notices issued to the mine owners, the Water Resources Department (WRD) has asked them to pump out water in the rivers that feeds reservoirs like Opa water supply and Selaulim Dam.
"It is observed that water level in Khandepar River has considerably reduced. In this regard, you are requested to start the pumps at the pits and release water into Khandepar River to maintain water level of Opa water supply plant," a notice issued by WRD executive engineer Peter Paul D`Souza, reads.
The stoppage of mining industry in the state has resulted in the halt of activities at various mining leases. The mine operators have been regularly pumping out water from the pits into the river, thereby maintaining the water level.
A senior WRD official said that in the absence of the water not being pumped from the mining pits, the river levels are going down drastically.
"When there is no water in the river, the reservoir faces water shortage, leading to shortage of water for drinking and irrigation purposes," he said.
The mines have stopped functioning since September last year after the Supreme Court imposed a temporary ban on the extraction and export of the ore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered