Goa govt contemplates cancelling 40 mining leases
Panaji: Goa government is planning to cancel 40 mining leases granted during the erstwhile Congress-led regime.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told the Legislative Assembly today that the state government has already moved a file for legal advice on issuing notice to owners of 40 mining leases, whose delay in applying for conversion of their `concession` into `lease` was condoned by Congress government.
The former government had condoned the delay although "they were not allowed to do so," Parrikar said.
The delay in filing of `J form` under the Goa, Daman and Diu Mining Concession Act, 1987 had been condoned by the previous Congress-led governments.
The deadline for filing the said form was November 22, 1988, but some were filed as late as 2005.
The `J` form is necessary for conversion of old mining concessions granted during Portuguese rule into formal leases.
Out of 40 leases, only 8-10 are actually operational, Parrikar said, adding that almost all the leases in the state are operating under deemed provision.
"We will process their applications for renewal. Either they will be accepted or rejected, but we will take a stand on it," the chief minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you