Goa govt designs financial package for tribals
Panaji: Goa government is working on a package for poor tribals living in state`s lesser developed areas in order to provide them financial help to tackle problems like crumbling houses and low fertility rate.
State Tribal Welfare Minister Ramesh Tawadkar said the situation of several hundred tribals, living in the forest areas of state`s lesser developed talukas, was poor.
"The children are not able to complete their education because their dwellings are crumbling. They have no facilities to sit and study," Tawadkar, a tribal rights campaigner himself, said.
The state government is working on a scheme to give a one-time grant of Rs two lakh for the tribals, who have an annual income of less than three lakh, to repair their houses, he said, adding that a monitoring committee would be constituted to oversee the repair works.
"Money would be paid in installments so as to ensure that it is not being misused and the amount would be released as and when work is completed, Tawadkar said.
State Cabinet is expected to decide on this scheme along with half a dozen similar initiatives by tribal welfare department, next week.
Tawadkar said ample amount of brainstorming has gone into designing these schemes, which are tailor-made to ease the financial bankruptcy faced by several families.
In another scheme, government has also proposed to pay a grant of Rs 50,000 per family for construction of toilet, so that they are not forced to attend nature`s call in open.
The state government will constitute a special team which will visit all the tribal villages and submit a roadmap, giving detailed requirements, he said.
"For the first year, target is to provide these schemes to 5,000 households, which are in dire need," the minister said.
Considering the low birth rate amongst the tribals, the state government has also designed a scheme for fertility treatment, under which Rs one lakh would be provided to couples to take care of their medical expenses.
Goa government-run hospitals do not offer fertility treatment. Many couples are childless as they do not have enough money to get treated in a private clinic, he said.
With the scheme, the couples could seek treatment at private hospitals.
Government has also drafted a scheme for providing Rs 25 lakh each for tribal villages to construct a community hall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday