Goa govt discriminating against minorities, alleges NCP
Panaji: The NCP unit in Goa on Friday charged the BJP-led state government with discriminating against minorities while implementing various social security schemes.
The minority community members are given "second class citizen treatment by the BJP-led government," NCP state unit chief spokesman Trojano D`Mello told reporters here.
If the state government does not stop the discrimination, they will approach Human Rights Commission, he said.
"The minorities are treated as second class citizens under the current Chief Minister," D`Mello said while mentioning some figures of beneficiaries under the state government`s flagship `Ladli Lakshmi` and `Grih Adhar` schemes.
Out of the total 15,890 beneficiaries under Grih Adhar scheme, which gives monthly Rs 1,000 to housewives, only 3,000 are from the minority community, he said.
"This amounts to hardly 16 percent of the total benefit being given to the minority community," he said, adding that in case of Ladli Lakshmi scheme, which gives Rs one lakh for marriage of a girl, the benefit is just up to 12 percent for the minorities.
The state government was trying to divide the communities by such tricks, D`Mello alleged.
Responding to a question, the party spokesman said that he does not have an actual break up of the total applicants from the minority community for the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog