Goa govt mulls amending Panchayati Raj Act
Panaji: The Goa government is contemplating an amendment in the Panchayati Raj Act allowing elections for panchayats to be held at party level.
Holding party-level elections for panchayats is the only solution to end instability in these grass root level bodies, state Panchayati Raj Minister Laxmikant Parsekar told reporters on Wednesday.
"We are open for discussions. We have not decided anything but a decision would be taken after consulting experts and going through the public opinion," Parsekar said.
Every six months or a year, a sarpanch is replaced through no confidence motion, hampering the development of that village, he said.
"Government is yet to form its opinion but whatever is spoken about is just an initial thought process," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional