Goa govt mulls amending Panchayati Raj Act
Panaji: The Goa government is contemplating an amendment in the Panchayati Raj Act allowing elections for panchayats to be held at party level.
Holding party-level elections for panchayats is the only solution to end instability in these grass root level bodies, state Panchayati Raj Minister Laxmikant Parsekar told reporters on Wednesday.
"We are open for discussions. We have not decided anything but a decision would be taken after consulting experts and going through the public opinion," Parsekar said.
Every six months or a year, a sarpanch is replaced through no confidence motion, hampering the development of that village, he said.
"Government is yet to form its opinion but whatever is spoken about is just an initial thought process," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter