Goa govt orders suspension of Cong leader’s mine
Panaji: Goa government has ordered
suspension of an iron ore and bauxite mine being managed by a
Congress leader after its name figured in the list of the
mines that have allegedly violated the norms in this regard, a
senior official said on Sunday.
The orders were issued after the mining site operated
by Congress leader Dinar Tarcar was found to be extracting ore
exceeding the permissible limit, a senior Mines and Geology
department official said.
Tarcar was carrying out mining activity after securing
a Power of Attorney from the mine owner.
The Public Accounts Committee (PAC), headed by the
Leader of Opposition, Manohar Parrikar, has also made a
mention about the particular mine, whose illegality was
tracked through Google earth imagery, he added.
The Department of Mines and Geology in the notice
issued on September 28 had pointed out that the concerned mine
exceeded the permissible limit of iron ore and bauxite
extraction as permitted under the Environment Clearance (EC),
granted by the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests
Goa Mines and Geology Director Arvind Lolienkar said
"the department had received several complaints against the
mining site claiming there has been excessive extraction of
Tarcar, who had contested on Congress ticket in Panaji
assembly constituency, was defeated by Manohar Parrikar in the
2007 assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre