Goa govt probing violation of SC order on iron ore transport
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Tuesday said the government is probing alleged violation of Supreme Court order banning transportation of iron ore in the state.
Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly that police are investigating whether the recent seizure of a truck loaded with iron ore amounts to violation of the Supreme Court order.
"We are investigating as to from where was the ore brought, where it was heading for and who was the transporter," he said.
The issue was brought to the notice of the House during zero hour by Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party legislator Lavoo Mamlatdar, who alleged that a high profile politician from his constituency was behind such a violation.
Mamlatdar requested the Chief Minister that the police should not end probe in the matter by just arresting driver of the truck, but instead should go to the root and arrest the kingpin behind such an act, which amounts to contempt of the Supreme Court.
Parrikar said he has already directed police this morning to conduct a detailed probe in the case.
"If any policeman conducts shoddy investigation, then he will also become a part of the crime (contempt of SC)," he added.
An iron ore laden truck registered in neighbouring Maharashtra was recently seized by the Goa police.
In its order in September last year, the Supreme Court had banned extraction and transportation of iron ore in the state, pending inquiry by Central Empowered Committee into the allegations of illegal mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up