Goa govt probing violation of SC order on iron ore transport
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Tuesday said the government is probing alleged violation of Supreme Court order banning transportation of iron ore in the state.
Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly that police are investigating whether the recent seizure of a truck loaded with iron ore amounts to violation of the Supreme Court order.
"We are investigating as to from where was the ore brought, where it was heading for and who was the transporter," he said.
The issue was brought to the notice of the House during zero hour by Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party legislator Lavoo Mamlatdar, who alleged that a high profile politician from his constituency was behind such a violation.
Mamlatdar requested the Chief Minister that the police should not end probe in the matter by just arresting driver of the truck, but instead should go to the root and arrest the kingpin behind such an act, which amounts to contempt of the Supreme Court.
Parrikar said he has already directed police this morning to conduct a detailed probe in the case.
"If any policeman conducts shoddy investigation, then he will also become a part of the crime (contempt of SC)," he added.
An iron ore laden truck registered in neighbouring Maharashtra was recently seized by the Goa police.
In its order in September last year, the Supreme Court had banned extraction and transportation of iron ore in the state, pending inquiry by Central Empowered Committee into the allegations of illegal mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi