Goa govt probing violation of SC order on iron ore transport
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Tuesday said the government is probing alleged violation of Supreme Court order banning transportation of iron ore in the state.
Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly that police are investigating whether the recent seizure of a truck loaded with iron ore amounts to violation of the Supreme Court order.
"We are investigating as to from where was the ore brought, where it was heading for and who was the transporter," he said.
The issue was brought to the notice of the House during zero hour by Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party legislator Lavoo Mamlatdar, who alleged that a high profile politician from his constituency was behind such a violation.
Mamlatdar requested the Chief Minister that the police should not end probe in the matter by just arresting driver of the truck, but instead should go to the root and arrest the kingpin behind such an act, which amounts to contempt of the Supreme Court.
Parrikar said he has already directed police this morning to conduct a detailed probe in the case.
"If any policeman conducts shoddy investigation, then he will also become a part of the crime (contempt of SC)," he added.
An iron ore laden truck registered in neighbouring Maharashtra was recently seized by the Goa police.
In its order in September last year, the Supreme Court had banned extraction and transportation of iron ore in the state, pending inquiry by Central Empowered Committee into the allegations of illegal mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened