Goa govt should take over loans of those affected by mining shut-down: Cong
Panaji: The Goa unit of Congress on Friday demanded that state government should take over the loans of truckers, machinery operators and barge owners, who are affected by current shut-down of mining sector, through Economic Development Corporation (EDC), a state-run body.
"There are huge loan liabilities of truck owners, barge operators and mining machinery operators with the nationalised and cooperative banks. Goa government should transfer them to EDC," party spokesperson Sudip Tamankar said.
The banks had restructured these loans, giving one year to the debtors to start repaying. "One year`s time is lapsing now....EDC should take over the loans," he said.
Once the mining activity resumes in the state -- currently Supreme Court has ordered a suspension -- EDC can recover the money from original debtors, he said.
Tamankar also said the money collected through stamp duty on mining license renewing should be used for those affected by suspension of mining activity.
"Government should not divert the Rs 200 crore which they have collected from stamp duty to other projects," he said.
The Congress spokesperson also said the Centre could not help those dependent on mining until the state government started rehabilitating them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31