Goa govt snubs Centre over power to appoint IAS/IPS officers
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Saturday said he had withdrawn the power delegated by the state to the Union Home Ministry to give consent to appointments of IAS/IPS officers in Goa.
"I have withdrawn the powers delegated to the Centre to give automatic consent on behalf of the state for the posting of All India Services officers," Parrikar said, talking to reporters here.
"I have written to the Union Home Minister informing about the decision."
The BJP-led Goa government has locked horns with the Union Government over posting of IAS and IPS officers, for not consulting the state government.
Recently, the state refused to accept three officers shortlisted by the Centre for the post of Chief Secretary. Instead, Parrikar government appointed Principal Secretary B Vijayan as the Chief Secretary.
"I had delegated power to the Centre to give consent, so I have the right to withdraw the power," Parrikar said.
"They (Centre) should consult us before appointing the officer in Goa," Parrikar said, adding that his latest move had nothing to do with the friction between the state and the Centre.
"I had done this in the past when I was the Chief Minister (earlier). I had refused to accept the arbitrary orders of Union Home Ministry."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India