Goa govt to cancel bail of rape accused teacher
Panaji: After a minor rape victim tried to commit suicide here yesterday, Goa government moved the high court seeking to cancel the bail granted to the girl`s teacher, who had allegedly raped her.
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly today that the government has already moved the Bombay High Court at Goa seeking cancellation of bail of the accused Kanhaiya Naik, the victim`s teacher, who had raped the 17-year-old girl from his own school.
Parrikar said that in her statement given to the Sub Divisional Magistrate that the girl has stated that `she feared for her life after the accused was granted bail by the court.
The girl was allegedly raped by him at his residence in December last year, while he was arrested in January. However, the high court had granted him bail on July 10, 2012.
The girl, who tried to kill herself on Tuesday, has been admitted to Goa Medical College and Hospital, where she is said to be in critical condition.
Chief Minister Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly that the `child might have been under tremendous psychological pressure.`
Parrikar appealed to the school management to inform him about any suspected behaviour of teachers, especially sexually-oriented behaviour towards girl students, so that he can be sacked.
"The school managements should immediately complain about such behavioural patterns. All provisions would be used to sack the teacher," Parrikar said adding that the students should not be allowed to go residences of the teacher for extra classes.
He said that the explanation has also been sought as to how the teacher managed to get the bail from the High Court.
"I want to know why the high court gave the bail; whether prosecution failed to provide any evidence," Parrikar said.
The chief minister also said that the high court would be requested to appoint a full-time judge for the children`s court, so that, such cases can be prosecuted expeditiously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened