Goa govt to issue notices to errant mine owners
Panaji: The Goa government has now decided to initiate a process of recovering money from the mine owners, who were found to have extracted the iron ore outside their valid mining leases.
State Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters here last evening that within the next one month, the state government will issue notices to the mine owners, asking them why action should not be initiated against them for being found mining illegally, as per the Shah Commission report.
"We have to always follow a due process of law. We will have to first establish that they (mine owners) have looted," Parrikar said, responding to allegations against him for keeping mum on the issue of recovery.
There is nothing evident in the entire Commission’s report that as a matter of natural justice, notices were issued to the concerned mine owners to hear them, he said.
"Shah Commission is a commission of inquiry. There is no evidence in the full matter that Shah Commission, as natural justice, has issued notice to concern mine owners," the Chief Minister said.
"I have to issue notice to them first. This is exactly what we have started doing. We will ask them why action should not be initiated against them," Parrikar said.
Justice M B Shah Commission , in its report tabled in the Parliament, had pointed out around 100 encroachments outside the mining lease areas by the companies which extracted large sums of ore between 2006 to 2010.
The report quantified the total extraction of ore from these encroachments to Rs 35,000 crore.
The judicial panel has recommended that the money should be recovered by the state from the mine owners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH