Goa govt to quantify iron ore lying in state
Panaji: The Goa government has constituted several teams to inspect and quantify the iron ore stacked at various points in the state before allowing it to be exported, a senior official said on Wednesday.
The state government, in its order dated September 10, had decided to allow only the already extracted and ready for transportation ore to be exported, thus discouraging fresh extraction.
The teams comprising officials from the mines and forest departments and Goa State Pollution Control Board (GSPCB) will be inspecting the places where ore is stacked, state Mines and Geology director Prasanna Acharya said.
"The permission to export ore would be given only after it is certified that it (ore) is legal," Acharya said.
After the Justice M B Shah Commission tabled its report in Parliament, the Goa government had suspended licences of all the mines.
It had also kept in abeyance the export of the ore, asking the companies to submit details of ore that was already extracted and lying at various places like mining leases, jetties, stockyards and others.
Acharya said majority of the companies submitted their details by September 21, the deadline set by the government.
"By October 1, all the processes to quantify and validate the ore would be completed. After that the exports may begin," he said.
A rough estimate by the government claims that almost one million metric tonnes of ore is lying at various points.
But the mining industry estimates the ore stacked at different places to be around seven million metric tonnes.
The mines department, however, is not sure on commencing of the fresh extraction in the mining leases.
"We are not sure as to when will the mining season begin," he said, adding that the Union Ministry of Environment and Forest (MoEF) is yet to revalidate the environment clearances (ECs) for the mines which they have kept in abeyance after the Shah Commission report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Suspended Bihar BJP MLC Tunna Pandey sent to 12-day custody for molesting minor girl on train
- What a strong statement! Sushma Swaraj blasts Nawaz Sharif for delusional, dangerous Kashmir dream: READ top quotes
- Setback for Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan for threatening woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi