Panaji: Goa government has decided to recommend a CBI probe into the alleged rape of a seven-year-old girl inside a school toilet in January.
The investigations have hit a dead wall as the case could not be solved, state Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said today.
"Police will write to CBI asking the agency to take over the investigations of the case," Parrikar said.
The seven-year-old girl was allegedly raped inside a school toilet at Vasco town in Goa on January 14 this year.
Subsequently, Goa Police had formed a special investigation team (SIT), which failed to nab the accused.
Parrikar said he has already written to the Director General of Police (DGP) asking him to write to CBI soon to take over the case.
"CBI has a wider information base. They can certainly do a better job," the Chief Minister said.
He admitted that Goa Police tried to do their job best, but could not achieve a breakthrough in the case.
The school management has been accused of destroying the evidence in the case as they cleaned the girl after she was raped.
Parrikar also said that the management has destroyed all the evidence in connection with the offence.
Police had investigated the DNA profile of the suspects, one of whom is living abroad, he said.
"In some cases you require luck to crack it. Here police had no luck," he admitted.
The victim`s parents yesterday said that they have decided to move the Goa bench of Bombay High Court with the plea that the case be handed over to CBI.
"Police are not doing enough to investigate the case and accused is roaming scot-free," the girl`s father alleged.
Following the rape, the school`s headmistress had been arrested in January for alleged negligence on her part but was later released on bail.