Goa govt to seek German consulate`s help in rape case
Panaji: Goa government is planning to seek the help of German consulate in connection with the rape of a minor, in which State Education Minister Atanasio Monserratte`s son Rohit is the accused.
Rohit, elder son of Monserratte, is chargesheeted for raping a German minor girl in Goa in 2008.
The victim`s mother, who had initially pursued the case vigorously, has now said that she is not interested in deposing before Goa Children`s Court which is trying the case.
Public Prosecutor Poonam Bharne today told the court that the state government was making efforts to get the statement of the victim and her mother through the German consulate.
The duo can testify through video conferencing, she said and sought three weeks time to get the deposition, which was granted by the judge.
Trial in the case has been adjourned till October 8.
Recently, the victim`s mother, in an email to the court, had expressed her unwillingness to depose before the court. She had said that her daughter had forgotten the bad memories.
On October 2, 2008, the German mother in her complaint to the police had accused Rohit of sexually abusing her daughter and sending her lewd text messages.
The minister was initially named as a co-accused in the case as Rohit had used his mobile to send the messages. But his name was later dropped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred