Goa govt to seize stray cattle from beaches
Panaji: Perturbed by the menace caused by cattle sauntering Goa beaches thronged by tourists, and the highways, the Manohar Parrikar government has decided to seize them and assigned the task to Panaji Corporation.
"The government will notify Goa Stray Cattle Management Scheme 2013, which will provide funding to agencies to impound the cattle straying on beaches and the highways", Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told the Legislative Assembly today.
Parrikar, however, clarified that his government was against auctioning the captured livestock as they might be purchased by butchers.
"There were complaints from NGOs that the cattle which were impounded by the government earlier were purchased by the butchers", he said, adding the Corporation of City of Panaji has been nominated as an agency to impound the cattle.
Parrikar said the civic body will be provided with hydraulic vehicle to lift the cattle found straying on roads.
He said the state government will not touch the cattle wandering on village and municipal roads outside of Panaji, as it would be responsibility of those respective bodies.
"The state government has given instructions to all municipal authorities to appoint pound keepers", he said.
Parrikar said that the government`s role was restricted to requesting local self-governing bodies to round up the cattle and it cannot force them to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Government to set up special court for all NSEL cases
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned for Rs 14 lakh
- Fourteen killed, over 20 wounded in suicide attack in Iraq's Kadhmiyah
- Meet 'Chaani-Sarman' from Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'- See new poster
- Srinagar-Muzaffarbad bus service to resume tomorrow