Goa govt to seize stray cattle from beaches
Panaji: Perturbed by the menace caused by cattle sauntering Goa beaches thronged by tourists, and the highways, the Manohar Parrikar government has decided to seize them and assigned the task to Panaji Corporation.
"The government will notify Goa Stray Cattle Management Scheme 2013, which will provide funding to agencies to impound the cattle straying on beaches and the highways", Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told the Legislative Assembly today.
Parrikar, however, clarified that his government was against auctioning the captured livestock as they might be purchased by butchers.
"There were complaints from NGOs that the cattle which were impounded by the government earlier were purchased by the butchers", he said, adding the Corporation of City of Panaji has been nominated as an agency to impound the cattle.
Parrikar said the civic body will be provided with hydraulic vehicle to lift the cattle found straying on roads.
He said the state government will not touch the cattle wandering on village and municipal roads outside of Panaji, as it would be responsibility of those respective bodies.
"The state government has given instructions to all municipal authorities to appoint pound keepers", he said.
Parrikar said that the government`s role was restricted to requesting local self-governing bodies to round up the cattle and it cannot force them to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon