Goa govt to suspend Ssouth Goa Collector over Balli violence
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Digambar Kamat
on Saturday assured tribal leaders here of suspending the district
collector and initiating a judicial probe into the killings of
two tribal leaders in Balli village.
The United Tribal Association Alliance (UTAA) chief
Prakash Velip said Kamat agreed to three of their major
demands including suspension of south Goa district collector
G P Naik and of initiating a judicial probe into Balli
violence in which two tribal leaders were killed.
Kamat, accompanied by the state tribal welfare minister
Filip Nery Rodrigues, today paid visit to the leaders at Azad
Maidan here and assured them of arresting the accused,
responsible for murdering Manguesh Gaonkar and Dilip Velip,
within 24 hours.
Charred bodies of Gaonkar and Velip were recovered from
the premises of a cashew factory in Balli village on May 26.
The tribals had refused to take custody of the bodies
demanding immediate arrest of the culprits.
The tribals were protesting for implementation of
reservation meant for them in the government jobs in the state
and extending more powers to the Scheduled Tribes (ST)
The chief minister also said that the video footage of
the spot procured from various channels will be used to track
down the accused.
Goa government has so far filed six different cases in
connection with the violence at Balli village.
Earlier, the judicial enquiry ordered by the Goa
government was rejected by the tribals saying they had no
faith in the government.
UTAA insisted on a judicial enquiry by a retired high
court judge into the incident in which the culprits allegedly
attacked the tribals and also set ablaze two of their leaders,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...