Goa has a special place in my heart: Narendra Modi
Panaji: Goa has a special place in my life, BJP’s man of the moment Narendra Modi said on Sunday, shortly after being appointed the party’s chairman of the election management committee.
The appointment makes Modi the face of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, for which he credits Goa and the luck which the coastal state seems to accord him.
“Goa has a special place in my life. The papers also say that Goa is lucky for Modi.
"This is the same Goa which in 2002 gave me the go ahead to serve Gujarat,” Modi said, recalling that year`s BJP national executive meeting, which had served as a political springboard for his success.
Modi was speaking at a meeting of state party office bearers in Taleigaon, near Panaji.
The 2002 meet had been held against the backdrop of the post-Godhra riots and Modi, who was under fire from both the opposition as well as a section of the BJP, some of whom were keen on him quitting chief ministership.
It was party stalwart L.K. Advani’s decision during the BJP meeting in Goa to back him that helped Modi retain his chair. A fact he acknowledges even now.
“If Goa had not given me the permission, I would not have been able to serve in Gujarat. Goa has given me blessings,” he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'