Goa has become resting place for unwanted elements: Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Thursday admitted on the floor of the House that the coastal state was being used as a "resting place" by unwanted elements.
Parrikar was responding to a question related to recent revelation that Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal had lived in Goa during 2011-12, which went unnoticed by state police.
"I agree that Goa is being used by unwanted elements as a resting place," Parrikar, who also holds Home Portfolio, told the Legislative Assembly.
The Chief Minister said from December onwards the state government will ensure that all hotels maintain updated record of guests, and those who fail to comply will face appropriate action.
During the Question Hour, Parrikar told the House that the National Investigation Agency (NIA) did not share any information with state police about the stay of Yasin in Goa.
"What we have come to know about NIA`s investigation and about Yasin Bhatkal was through people," the Chief Minister said.
He claimed that Yasin did not visit Goa after 2011-12.
Yasin was arrested from the Indo-Nepal border in north Bihar after being on run for five years in August this year.
"Yasin had stayed in Goa before this government took over. After 2011-12, he never came to Goa," the Chief Minister said responding to a query by Congress legislator Jeniffer Monserratte.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof