Goa House passes Lokayukta Bill 2011
Panaji: After long-drawn deliberations, the
State Legislative Assembly finally passed the `Goa Lokayukta
Bill 2011,` which empowers the ombudsman to even investigate
The Bill, which was put up for reconsideration and
passing on the floor of the House, was unanimously accorded
sanction by all the legislators yesterday. Congress legislator
Agnelo Fernandes tabled the Bill, which was passed after a
The current bill is an amended version of Goa Lokayukta
Bill 2003, which could not clear the scrutiny of the Centre.
Chief Minister Digambar Kamat said it will now be sent
for the President`s assent and there should not be much
difficulty in getting it through as all the objections raised
during the earlier Bill are satisfied in the new one.
The Bill mentions that Lokayukta`s term would be for
three years and he would be appointed by the Governor on the
advice of Chief Minister in consultation with the Chief
Justice of the High Court and the Leader of Opposition.
Lokayukta or Upa-Lokayukta, according to the Bill, shall
not be removed from his office except by an order of Governor
passed after an address by the State Legislative Assembly
supported by majority of the House.
The Lokayukta can investigate the complaint suo moto or
on complaint made to him. The Bill mentions that after
preliminary inquiry, if Lokayukta finds that there are
reasonable grounds for detailed investigation, he should
forward the complaint to the government and competition
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30