Goa House passes Lokayukta Bill 2011
Panaji: After long-drawn deliberations, the
State Legislative Assembly finally passed the `Goa Lokayukta
Bill 2011,` which empowers the ombudsman to even investigate
The Bill, which was put up for reconsideration and
passing on the floor of the House, was unanimously accorded
sanction by all the legislators yesterday. Congress legislator
Agnelo Fernandes tabled the Bill, which was passed after a
The current bill is an amended version of Goa Lokayukta
Bill 2003, which could not clear the scrutiny of the Centre.
Chief Minister Digambar Kamat said it will now be sent
for the President`s assent and there should not be much
difficulty in getting it through as all the objections raised
during the earlier Bill are satisfied in the new one.
The Bill mentions that Lokayukta`s term would be for
three years and he would be appointed by the Governor on the
advice of Chief Minister in consultation with the Chief
Justice of the High Court and the Leader of Opposition.
Lokayukta or Upa-Lokayukta, according to the Bill, shall
not be removed from his office except by an order of Governor
passed after an address by the State Legislative Assembly
supported by majority of the House.
The Lokayukta can investigate the complaint suo moto or
on complaint made to him. The Bill mentions that after
preliminary inquiry, if Lokayukta finds that there are
reasonable grounds for detailed investigation, he should
forward the complaint to the government and competition
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015