Goa lawyers strike work for second day
Panaji: Goa lawyers continued their agitation against the suspension of a district judge for the second day, with more lawyers striking work on Friday.
Lawyers from South Goa district headquarters of Margao staged a demonstration and boycotted court proceedings on Thursday to the protest the suspension of 54-year-old District and Sessions Judge Desmond D`Costa by the Bombay High Court.
On Friday, lawyers from sub-district courts in Ponda, Pernem, Quepem, Canacona, courts joined the agitation.
D`Costa was recently in the news after he acquitted a 40-year-old serial killer, Mahanand Naik, in a murder case involving one of his 16 women victims.
A delegation led by the South Goa Advocates Association (SGAA) president Anacleto Viegas submitted a memorandum to the registrar of the Panaji bench of the Bombay High Court, demanding the immediate reinstatement of the judge.
"The agitation will continue if Judge D`Costa is not reinstated," Viegas said.
"D`Costa`s suspension - for a matter which he judicially decided and against which no appeal was filed by the state government - is highly deplorable. D`Costa is in the dock for merely doing his duty. The association will be constrained to take all available recourse possible, including direct action, if his suspension is not revoked," Viegas said.
A civil society organisation also held a public meeting in D`Costa`s support on Monday.
"The meeting is a mark of protest against the decision of the honourable judiciary to suspend an upright man like Judge D`Costa," social activist Satish Sonak said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre