Goa legislator threatens to agitate against Mopa airport
Panaji: Goa Vikas Party legislator Francisco `Micky` Pacheco on Monday warned that he will lead an agitation against the proposed greenfield airport at Mopa on the Goa-Maharashtra border, if the state government does not scrap the project.
"I will not just be addressing public meetings. I will be on the street with people from South Goa," Pacheco said, in the House, participating in the discussion on demands for grants during the ongoing Goa state Legislative Assembly session.
The state government has no justification to go ahead with the Mopa airport, when a similar facility is being constructed in Maharashtra`s Chippi village, the former tourism minister said.
"The distance between Mopa and Chippi is hardly 66 kms. The distance between Patradevi (Goa border) to Chippi is 50 kms. So why do we need Mopa airport?" he wondered.
The legislator said that he is not ready to accept that after Mopa airport is operational, the existing Dabolim airport will be allowed to function.
The Dabolim airport is currently managed by Indian Navy and is being expanded.
"Irrespective of whether there is an expansion or not, I believe that the union government will shut down the Dabolim airport, which will create problems for the people of South Goa," Pacheco said.
He insisted that the state government put land acquisition process for Mopa airport, on hold.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, however, assured the House that Dabolim airport will continue to function even after Mopa airport is constructed and pointed to the union Cabinet resolution to continue with Dabolim, a facility used by the Indian Navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145