Goa likely to get female lifeguards to prevent drowning cases
Panaji: Goa Tourism will soon employ female lifeguards on the beaches to prevent cases of drowning.
Goa Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar told the state legislative assembly that the government is in the process of renewing the contract for lifeguard services on beaches.
The contract is currently with by Drishti Special Response Services Ltd. Parulekar told the house that women tourists who get carried away by undercurrents in the sea have to be rescued by male lifeguards.
"Sometimes, male lifeguards have to give first-aid to female tourists rescued from the waters," the minister said.
He stated that women lifeguards would be the part of lifeguard teams to be commissioned on Goa`s beaches.
The state government has also decided to post lifeguards at waterbodies in the hinterland which attract tourists, to nullify drowning cases.
Parulekar also announced that beaches would be monitored by CCTV cameras by next year, and the control room would be at the tourism department`s headquarters in Panaji.
"In case of emergencies, agencies like the police, ambulance and tourism department can rush immediately after feedback from CCTV cameras," the minister said.
The government, he said, also will install chemical toilets at all beaches in eight months.
"The number of toilets will depend on footfalls on the beaches," he said. Parulekar informed the house that this infrastructure would be created through funding from the Union government.
The state tourism department plans to build these facilities in consultation with Darashaw & Company Pvt Ltd, a consultant appointed by the Union government.
He also said that proper signages would be installed at all beaches directing tourists to facilities like toilets, changing rooms and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery