‘Goa Lokayukta Bill withdrawn as Central ministries objected’
Panaji: The Goa government on Monday said that
Lokayukta Bill, introduced in the state Legislative Assembly
in 2003, would be withdrawn as it was suffering from "legal
infirmity" and various Union ministries had raised objections.
State Law Secretary Pramod Kamat said today that
withdrawal was supposed to be discussed during the recently
concluded session of the Assembly.
"However, on account of boycott by BJP and pandemonium in
the House, the same could not be taken up," he said.
Kamat was addressing a brainstorming session on
‘Lokayukta: Goa`s Concerns`, organized by International Centre
Goa at Dona Paula, near here.
Justice Santosh Hegde -- Lokayukta of Karnataka and
member of the Jan Lokpal Bill Drafting Committee -- was
present as a special guest.
Kamat said that several central government departments
had pointed out anomalies in the bill after it was referred
for the consideration of President of India.
"The Ministry of Law and Justice has made certain
observations relating to the clause 19 of the Bill," he said.
Ministry of Personnel said that jurisdiction provisions
in Goa Lokayukta Bill and Model State Vigilance Commission
"Department of Legal Affairs also stated that clause 18
of the Bill appears to be contrary to the provisions of
Section 22 of Right to Information (RTI) Act," Kamat said.
"As the bill suffers from legal infirmity, it was
decided to withdraw it," Kamat said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi