Goa Lokayukta denies receiving any illegal mining complaint

Last Updated: Friday, August 9, 2013 - 14:37

Panaji: Goa Lokayukta officials Friday said that they are yet to receive any complaint related to illegal mining, although Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar had announced a week ago that the file has been referred to the Lokayukta.

Goa Lokayukta Secretary Mathew Samuel told PTI here today that his office is yet to receive any file pertaining to illegal mining on behalf of the state government.

Last week, Parrikar had announced at a press conference that the file affixing civil liabilities on various people, including mine owners and government officials, had been sent to the Goa Lokayukta.

The state has already filed complaints with the crime branch fixing criminal liabilities on illegal mining scamsters which is pegged to be worth around Rs 35,000 crore.

A high-level source from the state mines department said that the complaint which indicted several high ranking politicians, officials and mine owners is pending with the Directorate of Vigilance.
The Goa state government had initially referred the complaint to its Vigilance Department from where it ought to be filed with the Lokayukta.

In his inquiry report, Justice M B Shah had confirmed illegal mining in the Goa state.
Mining was stopped in Goa after the Supreme Court initiated an inquiry through a Central Empowered Committee (CEC).

PTI



First Published: Friday, August 9, 2013 - 14:37
TAGS:

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus