Goa: MGP sets deadline for BJP to decide alliance
Panaji: Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP)
has set a deadline of January 24 for BJP to take a call on the
MGP President, Dipak Dhavalikar told PTI that the party
was ready to contest 16-18 seats on its own.
"We are discussing pre-poll alliance with BJP... we have
asked for 10 seats. They have to decide by January 24," he
MGP, the oldest regional political outfit, currently
shares power with Congress-NCP at the state level, but has
decided to leave the coalition and join hands with BJP. MGP
had a pre-poll alliance with BJP last time in 1994.
Dhavalikar said that alliance would benefit both the
parties. "There is a strong base for MGP throughout Goa, and
even youth are getting attracted to us," he claimed.
MGP currently has two legislators in Goa Assembly. To
retain the traditional `lion` symbol, it will have to get at
least three MLAs elected in the March 3 election.
Dhavalikar said that MGP stayed in Congress-NCP alliance
only for survival. "The party has been losing its sheen after
a spate of defections in the 90s. Now we have managed to
revive it," he said.
Dhavalikar`s brother Ramakrishna is a minister in the
Digambar Kamat cabinet.
"Corruption-free government would be our main agenda,"
Dhavalikar said. "Digambar Kamat was a bad administrator, due
to which the government suffered acute problem of corruption,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday