Goa: MGP sets deadline for BJP to decide alliance
Panaji: Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP)
has set a deadline of January 24 for BJP to take a call on the
MGP President, Dipak Dhavalikar told PTI that the party
was ready to contest 16-18 seats on its own.
"We are discussing pre-poll alliance with BJP... we have
asked for 10 seats. They have to decide by January 24," he
MGP, the oldest regional political outfit, currently
shares power with Congress-NCP at the state level, but has
decided to leave the coalition and join hands with BJP. MGP
had a pre-poll alliance with BJP last time in 1994.
Dhavalikar said that alliance would benefit both the
parties. "There is a strong base for MGP throughout Goa, and
even youth are getting attracted to us," he claimed.
MGP currently has two legislators in Goa Assembly. To
retain the traditional `lion` symbol, it will have to get at
least three MLAs elected in the March 3 election.
Dhavalikar said that MGP stayed in Congress-NCP alliance
only for survival. "The party has been losing its sheen after
a spate of defections in the 90s. Now we have managed to
revive it," he said.
Dhavalikar`s brother Ramakrishna is a minister in the
Digambar Kamat cabinet.
"Corruption-free government would be our main agenda,"
Dhavalikar said. "Digambar Kamat was a bad administrator, due
to which the government suffered acute problem of corruption,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!