Goa mining: BJP admits lapses during its rule
Panaji: The BJP on Wednesday admitted its own
Chief Minister in Goa Manohar Parrikar was "negligent" in
stopping the illegal export of iron ore during his tenure.
It was also a mistake to give Mines portfolio to
Digambar Kamat, then a Minister in the BJP Government, Goa BJP
President Laxmikant Parsekar said at a press conference here.
Kamat later joined the Congress and is now the Chief
Minister and at the centre of a multi-crore mining scam.
"We did not know that he (Kamat) was making money from
the Mines portfolio," Parsekar said.
Asked further about the issue, he said "it was
negligence on part of Parrikar, then Chief Minister, to let
this (illegal export of iron ore) happen."
Comptroller Auditor General (CAG) has pointed out that
from 2004 to 2006, 10.9 million metric tonnes of iron ore was
exported from the state`s ports without paying royalty.
BJP was in power in the coastal state from June 2002
to February 2005.
Public Accounts Committee (PAC), headed by Parrikar,
is investigating the illegal iron ore trade in the state.
Responding to another query, Parsekar further admitted
that there is a possibility of a few BJP supporters or well
wishers being involved in the illegal mining trade.
"I don`t say our workers are not in the mining trade.
If 80 per cent (of those in the trade) are from Congress,
there could be 20 per cent from our party. But we don`t
support them," he said.
The main Opposition party has demanded the resignation
of Kamat over the illegal mining trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town