Goa mining: BJP admits lapses during its rule
Panaji: The BJP on Wednesday admitted its own
Chief Minister in Goa Manohar Parrikar was "negligent" in
stopping the illegal export of iron ore during his tenure.
It was also a mistake to give Mines portfolio to
Digambar Kamat, then a Minister in the BJP Government, Goa BJP
President Laxmikant Parsekar said at a press conference here.
Kamat later joined the Congress and is now the Chief
Minister and at the centre of a multi-crore mining scam.
"We did not know that he (Kamat) was making money from
the Mines portfolio," Parsekar said.
Asked further about the issue, he said "it was
negligence on part of Parrikar, then Chief Minister, to let
this (illegal export of iron ore) happen."
Comptroller Auditor General (CAG) has pointed out that
from 2004 to 2006, 10.9 million metric tonnes of iron ore was
exported from the state`s ports without paying royalty.
BJP was in power in the coastal state from June 2002
to February 2005.
Public Accounts Committee (PAC), headed by Parrikar,
is investigating the illegal iron ore trade in the state.
Responding to another query, Parsekar further admitted
that there is a possibility of a few BJP supporters or well
wishers being involved in the illegal mining trade.
"I don`t say our workers are not in the mining trade.
If 80 per cent (of those in the trade) are from Congress,
there could be 20 per cent from our party. But we don`t
support them," he said.
The main Opposition party has demanded the resignation
of Kamat over the illegal mining trade.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram