Goa mining: BJP wants Centre to step in
Panaji: The BJP today demanded that the Centre should step in with a financial package to ease the impending crisis in Goa due to halting of the mining industry.
BJP national spokesman Rajiv Pratap Rudy said the current situation on mining front in Goa is a "matter of great concern".
"The central government should give a package to Goa to ease the prevailing situation, before the mining activity begins in the state," Rudy told reporters here.
Supporting the cause of people dependent on mining industry, Rudy said, "Workers were not responsible for the illegal mining activity and hence should be protected from bearing the brunt."
The state government has initiated the process to weed out illegal mining and set things right in this industry. "But Union Ministry of Environment and Forest`s action of keeping in abeyance the Environment Clearances (ECs) was surprising," he said.
"We are surprised. What prompted the MoEF to supersede the action of Goa government?" he asked.
After Justice M B Shah Commission`s report on illegal mining in Goa was tabled in the Parliament, the state government had suspended all the mining leases, asking the mine owners to submit their documents.
Few days after Goa government`s action, MoEF had kept in abeyance all the ECs of the mines, furthering the trouble for the industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened