Goa Mining leases asked to conduct GPS survey by mid-June
Panaji: Goa Mines and Geology department has asked all mining lease holders in the state to conduct the digital global positioning survey (DGPS) by mid-June which will ascertain boundaries and violations by mining operators.
Director of Mines and Geology, Prasanna Acharya in a circular issued this week has asked all the valid mining leases to carry out DGPS survey through the state empanelled agencies.
The cost of the survey will have to be borne by the respective mining lease holder, the circular said.
The Union Ministry of Environment and Forest data reveals that there are 139 mining leases in the state.
The survey will have to be completed by June 15, 2013.
The Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM) had asked the mining lease holders to conduct such a survey, after it was noticed in the Justice M B Shah Commission report that several of the mine owners have violated the boundaries and encroached outside their leases.
The Commission had estimated that the illegally extracted ore was to the tune of Rs 35,000 crore.
The mine owners had disputed the claims of Shah Commission claiming that the survey was conducted by them (commission) through hand-held GPS, which was not accurate gadget for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly