Goa Mining leases asked to conduct GPS survey by mid-June
Panaji: Goa Mines and Geology department has asked all mining lease holders in the state to conduct the digital global positioning survey (DGPS) by mid-June which will ascertain boundaries and violations by mining operators.
Director of Mines and Geology, Prasanna Acharya in a circular issued this week has asked all the valid mining leases to carry out DGPS survey through the state empanelled agencies.
The cost of the survey will have to be borne by the respective mining lease holder, the circular said.
The Union Ministry of Environment and Forest data reveals that there are 139 mining leases in the state.
The survey will have to be completed by June 15, 2013.
The Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM) had asked the mining lease holders to conduct such a survey, after it was noticed in the Justice M B Shah Commission report that several of the mine owners have violated the boundaries and encroached outside their leases.
The Commission had estimated that the illegally extracted ore was to the tune of Rs 35,000 crore.
The mine owners had disputed the claims of Shah Commission claiming that the survey was conducted by them (commission) through hand-held GPS, which was not accurate gadget for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what