Goa Mining leases asked to conduct GPS survey by mid-June
Panaji: Goa Mines and Geology department has asked all mining lease holders in the state to conduct the digital global positioning survey (DGPS) by mid-June which will ascertain boundaries and violations by mining operators.
Director of Mines and Geology, Prasanna Acharya in a circular issued this week has asked all the valid mining leases to carry out DGPS survey through the state empanelled agencies.
The cost of the survey will have to be borne by the respective mining lease holder, the circular said.
The Union Ministry of Environment and Forest data reveals that there are 139 mining leases in the state.
The survey will have to be completed by June 15, 2013.
The Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM) had asked the mining lease holders to conduct such a survey, after it was noticed in the Justice M B Shah Commission report that several of the mine owners have violated the boundaries and encroached outside their leases.
The Commission had estimated that the illegally extracted ore was to the tune of Rs 35,000 crore.
The mine owners had disputed the claims of Shah Commission claiming that the survey was conducted by them (commission) through hand-held GPS, which was not accurate gadget for the purpose.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive