Goa mining lobby blocks river traffic
Panaji: Nearly 50 mining barges virtually blockaded the Mandovi river, off Panaji, on Wednesday to protest any impending action against the mining industry.
"Our livelihood is based on the mining industry. Any move by the government to stop mining would be disastrous," Atul Jadhav of the Goa Barge Owners Association (GBOA) said.
GBOA represents nearly 500 barges that ferry iron ore from mining jetties to the Mormugao Port Trust (MPT) for export.
The daylong blockade, which saw large barges blocking the river`s navigation channel, affected the movement of fishing trawlers and casino feeder boats that ply on the Mandovi.
Goa has been rocked by the illegal mining scandal, which the opposition has pegged at Rs 25,000 crore.
Sources in the mining industry said the blockade of the river had the tacit support of ore extractors and exporters whose operations are likely to be affected by any probe in Goa`s politician-bureaucrat-mining lobby nexus.
"The line dividing legal and illegal mining is thin. The mining lobby is now flexing its muscle to ensure that government dithers from setting up a probe," a mining company official said.
Government data itself suggests that less than 20 of Goa`s 100 odd mines in Goa were operating illegally, in violation of norms and permissions.
Goa in the last fiscal exported 54 million tonnes of iron ore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss