Goa minister calls IPS officer `goon` for raiding rave parties
Panaji: After the IAS officer`s row in UP, a senior IPS officer in Goa has now come in the firing line of a ruling BJP minister who publicly berated him for acting like a "goon" and cracking down on rave parties, claiming it had led to drop in tourist inflow.
Using the occasion to inaugurate a coastal police station to embarrass Superintendent of Police Vijay Singh, State Art and Culture minister Dayanand Mandrekar said the raids led by him on rave parties has hit tourism in coastal belts.
"I don’t know what energy and what motive this SP had behind raiding beach parties. He was acting like a goon while raiding them," Mandrekar said in the presence of senior police officers, including Director General of Police Kishan Kumar and others. Singh was also present among the audience.
The minister`s comments comes within days of IAS officer Durga Sakthi Nagpal being suspended by the UP government ostensibly for ordering demolition of a wall of an under-construction mosque.
28-year-old Nagpal, who hit the spotlight for taking on the powerful sand mafia, has since been chargesheeted. The Akhilesh Yadav government has defended its decision and asserted that there will be no revocation of the suspension order, a demand made by opposition parties as also IAS and IPS officers` association who batted for Nagpal.
Mandrekar said Singh, who held office in Porvorim, near Panaji, should have stuck to his jurisdiction and not have gone beyond it.
"What business he had to do in the coastal belt?" Mandrekar asked. The IPS officer was transferred early this year from North district and shifted to Traffic cell after he cracked down on drug dens in the state. He was responsible for raiding several notorious shacks in the belt of Anjuna, where cases related to narcotics were booked.
Mandrekar also questioned why coastal security needs to be strengthened. "Why do we need to concentrate on the coastal security when terrorists can come from any direction," he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest