Goa minister in trouble over murder controversy
Panaji: Goa`s Tourism Minister Mickey Pacheco, who faces charges of bigamy, has landed in a soup after the mysterious death of his 28-year-old third partner, who died at a Chennai hospital.
Women`s rights groups have stepped up pressure on the state government and asked the state’s Crime Branch to investigate the case.
Toreado died on May 30 after consuming rat poison. On May 15, she was taken first to a local hospital in Goa. A few days later, she was moved to Mumbai and finally to Chennai, where she died.
With public pressure mounting, the police have conducted a second post-mortem on Nadia, but the family maintains she died accidentally.
Women’s groups have demanded that Chief Minister Digambar Kamat hold a formal inquiry into the suspicious death and make the report public within two days.
Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar has also joined the chorus asking for a thorough probe into the death of the 28-year-old woman.
“The death should be investigated thoroughly. What is this government coming to?” Parrikar told reporters.
When asked for his comment, Pacheco, a leader of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), only said, “It is a very unfortunate incident. The deceased was a friend of the family. It is a sad day”.
When asked to comment on allegations that medical negligence caused by his repeated shifting of Torreado from one hospital to another could have resulted in her death, Pacheco said, “We acted strictly on medical advice so that she could get the best of health. The allegations are politically motivated”.
Reports claim that Torreado, who was admitted to a nursing home in Mumbai prior to being shifted to Chennai, has already told a special executive magistrate that she consumed the poison “by mistake”.
Records at the Apollo Victor Hospital in Margao, where she was admitted initially , state that Torreado had consumed an entire tube of the poisonous paste meant to kill rodents.
Pacheco, a controversial minister, has been accused of bigamy by his first wife Sara. The case is in the trial stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets