Goa minister in trouble over murder controversy
Panaji: Goa`s Tourism Minister Mickey Pacheco, who faces charges of bigamy, has landed in a soup after the mysterious death of his 28-year-old third partner, who died at a Chennai hospital.
Women`s rights groups have stepped up pressure on the state government and asked the state’s Crime Branch to investigate the case.
Toreado died on May 30 after consuming rat poison. On May 15, she was taken first to a local hospital in Goa. A few days later, she was moved to Mumbai and finally to Chennai, where she died.
With public pressure mounting, the police have conducted a second post-mortem on Nadia, but the family maintains she died accidentally.
Women’s groups have demanded that Chief Minister Digambar Kamat hold a formal inquiry into the suspicious death and make the report public within two days.
Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar has also joined the chorus asking for a thorough probe into the death of the 28-year-old woman.
“The death should be investigated thoroughly. What is this government coming to?” Parrikar told reporters.
When asked for his comment, Pacheco, a leader of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), only said, “It is a very unfortunate incident. The deceased was a friend of the family. It is a sad day”.
When asked to comment on allegations that medical negligence caused by his repeated shifting of Torreado from one hospital to another could have resulted in her death, Pacheco said, “We acted strictly on medical advice so that she could get the best of health. The allegations are politically motivated”.
Reports claim that Torreado, who was admitted to a nursing home in Mumbai prior to being shifted to Chennai, has already told a special executive magistrate that she consumed the poison “by mistake”.
Records at the Apollo Victor Hospital in Margao, where she was admitted initially , state that Torreado had consumed an entire tube of the poisonous paste meant to kill rodents.
Pacheco, a controversial minister, has been accused of bigamy by his first wife Sara. The case is in the trial stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Suicide bombings in Baghdad: Over 20 killed, 50 injured in series of attacks
- Know why PM Narendra Modi is asking for your support for particular task - WATCH
- Nepali Congress halts House over ''budget leak''
- Here's what Yuvraj Singh said after his long wait for IPL trophy ended
- Meet 'Haryana ki Sherni' Anushka Sharma from 'Sultan'! See LATEST pic