Goa minister`s son acquitted in rape case
Panaji: The Goa Children`s Court has
acquitted Rohit, son of state Education Minister Atanasio
Monserratte, from the charges of raping a German minor girl.
Rohit was arrested in November 2008 for allegedly raping
a 14-year-old German girl and also sending her lewd messages.
The court acquitted Rohit on Wednesday as the mother of the
victim and the girl refused to cooperate with the prosecution.
Both have returned to Germany and were not available to
testify before the court.
The victim`s mother even refused to make available the
birth certificate of the girl, which was a proof of her being
Rohit was accused of raping the victim in his car at
Bambolim, a town near Panaji and thereafter sending her lewd
The victim`s mother lodged a complaint with Calangute
police on October 2, 2008, but Rohit remained absconding till
he surrendered on November 4, 2008.
The court had given time for the prosecution to seek help
of the German consulate for recording the statement of the
victim and her mother. But both of them did not cooperate with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation