Goa minister`s son acquitted in rape case
Panaji: The Goa Children`s Court has
acquitted Rohit, son of state Education Minister Atanasio
Monserratte, from the charges of raping a German minor girl.
Rohit was arrested in November 2008 for allegedly raping
a 14-year-old German girl and also sending her lewd messages.
The court acquitted Rohit on Wednesday as the mother of the
victim and the girl refused to cooperate with the prosecution.
Both have returned to Germany and were not available to
testify before the court.
The victim`s mother even refused to make available the
birth certificate of the girl, which was a proof of her being
Rohit was accused of raping the victim in his car at
Bambolim, a town near Panaji and thereafter sending her lewd
The victim`s mother lodged a complaint with Calangute
police on October 2, 2008, but Rohit remained absconding till
he surrendered on November 4, 2008.
The court had given time for the prosecution to seek help
of the German consulate for recording the statement of the
victim and her mother. But both of them did not cooperate with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"