Goa minister`s son acquitted in rape case
Panaji: The Goa Children`s Court has
acquitted Rohit, son of state Education Minister Atanasio
Monserratte, from the charges of raping a German minor girl.
Rohit was arrested in November 2008 for allegedly raping
a 14-year-old German girl and also sending her lewd messages.
The court acquitted Rohit on Wednesday as the mother of the
victim and the girl refused to cooperate with the prosecution.
Both have returned to Germany and were not available to
testify before the court.
The victim`s mother even refused to make available the
birth certificate of the girl, which was a proof of her being
Rohit was accused of raping the victim in his car at
Bambolim, a town near Panaji and thereafter sending her lewd
The victim`s mother lodged a complaint with Calangute
police on October 2, 2008, but Rohit remained absconding till
he surrendered on November 4, 2008.
The court had given time for the prosecution to seek help
of the German consulate for recording the statement of the
victim and her mother. But both of them did not cooperate with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB