Goa Minority Commission to have civil court powers
Panaji: The BJP-led government in Goa on Thursday introduced a bill seeking to establish the Goa Commission for Minorities with powers of a civil court aiming to safeguard the interest of minorities in the state.
The Bill was introduced in the State Legislative Assembly by Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
The Commission is expected to evaluate the progress and the development of minorities in the state and monitor the working of safeguards provided in the constitution of India and in laws enacted by Parliament and the State Legislative Assembly of Goa.
Once formed, the Commission will look into specific complaints regarding deprivation of rights and safeguard of the minorities and take up such matters with the appropriate authorities.
"The Commission will conduct studies, research and analysis on the issues relating to socio-economic and educational development of minorities," the statement of the Bill reads.
Also, it will suggest appropriate measures in respect of any minorities to be undertaken by the government. The Commission will have all the powers of civil court trying a suit. It can also summon and enforce attendance of any person from any part of the state and examine him under an oath.
The Bill seeks to give rights for the Commission to make periodical or special reports to the Government on any matter pertaining to minorities and in particular the difficulties confronted by them.
The Commission can also accept matters referred to it by the state government and National Commission for Minorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview