Goa MLAs adhered to EC guidelines for 2012 poll expenses
Panaji: All elected members of Goa Legislative Assembly spent much less than the Election Commission of India`s (ECI) guidelines for expenses during the state polls held in March last year.
As per affidavits of expense details submitted by the MLAs, which have been made public by the EC`s local office, independent legislator Rohan Khaunte, who contested from Porvorim constituency, had spent the highest - Rs 6.20 lakhs - for the campaign.
The upper limit prescribed by ECI per candidate was Rs 8 lakh and as per the records, none went near the ceiling.
All the winning 21 legislators of BJP spent Rs 2-3 lakhs, while Congress, which witnessed a historical debacle, had its winning candidates spending Rs 3-3.5 lakh, according to the data.
BJP legislator Vishnu Wagh and Vishwajit Rane did not spend a single paisa on holding public meetings, as per their affidavits.
Congress` Pandurang Madkaikar and Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco spent Rs 5.21 lakh and Rs 4.83 lakh respectively, joining the highest spending bracket.
From the ruling benches, BJP MLA Michael Lobo had to shell out Rs 4.04 lakh for his campaign.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, representing Panaji constituency, spent just Rs 2.76 lakhs.
Leader of Opposition Pratapsingh Rane was the least spending MLA by showing an expense of only Rs 1.69 lakh for the campaign.
The 2012 elections saw BJP winning with majority while Congress was reduced to single digit status in the beach state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre to be launched in India today
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor to come together! No, we aren’t talking about a film
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 pre-registrations begins from today