Goa MLAs will foot own bill for Brazil sojourn: Manohar Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Tuesday the MLAs who visited Brazil to watch the recent football World Cup would pay from their pockets.
"The debate on the expenditure by five legislators who visited Brazil should end now as their trip was personal," Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly.
"They will pay the money, so it now becomes a private trip. The issue should not be discussed further," he said.
The state, which had booked the tickets for the legislators before the controversy erupted, would have lost the money if there was cancellation of tickets, Parrikar told the House.
"The money is not spent by government. We just invested for them," he said.
The Brazil visit of the six MLAs, including ministers Ramesh Tawadkar (sports), Avertano Furtado (fisheries) and Milind Naik (power), sparked a controversy after the state sports department sanctioned Rs 89 lakh for the tour.
The state government had later withdrawn its consent for the trip, which was organised by state sports department, and labelled it as a study tour regarding construction of infrastructure of national games.
Parrikar had recently told the House that all the foreign tours would undergo pre-audit before they are allowed.
The state government is also formulating guidelines on the foreign trips.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack