Goa NGO warns govt against misusing land acquisition powers
Panaji: Goa Bachao Abhiyaan (GBA), a leading
green NGO has warned the government against misusing its
powers to acquire land for public purpose.
"Goa government should define what exactly is the purpose
when they acquire the land for projects. Even if it`s for
public purpose, the government should specify who will benefit
from it," GBA convenor Sabina Martins said.
The NGO today held a meeting here ahead of their talks
with chief minister Digamber Kamat on April 15 when all the
issues related to land use would be discussed.
"Right from Cricket stadium at Thivim to Football stadium
at Verna or hospital project at Margao, the state government
should define the public use," Martins said.
"Even if there is acquisition for the government project,
the land owner should be paid as per market rates," she added.
Briefing media after the meeting, Martins said that the
GBA along with village groups will meet chief minister on
April 15 to bring to his notice gross violations in various
villages across the state.
The meeting also decided to ask the government to notify
National Agricultural Policy, which disallows conversion of
"We have received letter from the Prime Minister`s Office
which clearly speaks about agricultural policy. We met the
local bureaucrats asking them to notify this policy but they
seem to be not interested," Siddharth Karapurkar, a local
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India