Goa NSUI backs Anna`s campaign
Panaji: Even as the Congress has been overtly critical of social activist Anna Hazare`s latest agitation, the Goa unit of the National Students Union of India (NSUI), a frontal organisation of the party, begs to differ.
Goa NSUI president Sunil Kavthankar said the students unit was wholeheartedly in support of the veteran Gandhian, who has taken the battle on corruption to the central government, albeit in a non-violent manner.
"Whoever is opposing corruption, we are wholeheartedly in support of them," Kavthankar told reporters at a press conference here, even as several public demonstrations are planned in the state Wednesday.
"Hazare is fighting against corruption so we are supporting him. We may not agree with his methods but Hazare`s fight is for something good. We are all for it," he added.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) staged a protest meeting at Azad Maidan here where they denounced the central United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government`s attempts to muzzle a democratic voice.
"We never thought we were going to see a repeat of the Emergency in our lifetimes. But looks like the Congress-led central government is leading us on that path," state BJP president Laxmikant Parsenkar said.
Hazare was jailed in Delhi early Tuesday ahead of his fast for a strong anti-corruption law, sparking protests that drew tens of thousands across India.
The authorities did a U-turn later in the day and declared him free, but the fasting activist refused to walk out of jail until he was allowed to hold his planned fast without any conditions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan