Goa offers financial help to people hit by closure
Panaji: Goa government on Saturday announced two schemes providing financial assistance to the people affected by closure of mining activity in five talukas of the state.
While one scheme is for those who have lost jobs, another is for truckowners and the benefits would be given only to people from five talukas, namely, Quepem, Sanguem, Bicholim, Dharbandora and Sattari from the mining belts.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said the government has earmarked Rs 15 crore annually for these schemes which would be applicable for one year or till the mining issue is settled.
Under the first scheme, those who have lost their jobs will get 50 per cent of their gross salary and other incentives depending on their packages and only those people would be given the benefit who do not have any immediate family member in government service.
As per government estimates, about 10,000 people have lost their jobs in the mining belt.
Under the second scheme, the truck-owners who have registered themselves with the State Mines and Geology department will get Rs 8,000 a month for one truck and additional Rs 4,000 a month if he has two trucks.
The scheme is expected to benefit around 7,000 truck owners.
These schemes would be notified on Monday, Parrikar said, adding the forthcoming budget will set aside Rs 300 crore for creating infrastructure in the mining belt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video