Goa offers financial help to people hit by closure
Panaji: Goa government on Saturday announced two schemes providing financial assistance to the people affected by closure of mining activity in five talukas of the state.
While one scheme is for those who have lost jobs, another is for truckowners and the benefits would be given only to people from five talukas, namely, Quepem, Sanguem, Bicholim, Dharbandora and Sattari from the mining belts.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said the government has earmarked Rs 15 crore annually for these schemes which would be applicable for one year or till the mining issue is settled.
Under the first scheme, those who have lost their jobs will get 50 per cent of their gross salary and other incentives depending on their packages and only those people would be given the benefit who do not have any immediate family member in government service.
As per government estimates, about 10,000 people have lost their jobs in the mining belt.
Under the second scheme, the truck-owners who have registered themselves with the State Mines and Geology department will get Rs 8,000 a month for one truck and additional Rs 4,000 a month if he has two trucks.
The scheme is expected to benefit around 7,000 truck owners.
These schemes would be notified on Monday, Parrikar said, adding the forthcoming budget will set aside Rs 300 crore for creating infrastructure in the mining belt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof