Goa plans to brand handicrafts to revive cottage industry
Panaji: Goa government is mulling branding its handicrafts indigenously as part of an initiative to promote the cottage industry.
This is being mooted in the draft of the Goa Industrial cum Investment Policy which is in the final stages of preparation.
"A `Handmade in Goa` brand can be created with a logo which will characterise all Goan handmade products," the draft says.
Goa is known for its coconut and bamboo crafts among others.
The policy, on which public can give suggestions, says that Goa has a rich heritage of handicrafts and village industries to create employment avenues.
The document, a copy of which is available with PTI, states that the promotion of handicrafts will help growth of cottage industry, craftsmen, artisans and others.
The state government intends to construct a mall known as `Shilpagram` to facilitate selling of handicrafts that will "also act as a tourist attraction," the document states.
The government also plans to give Travelling Allowance and Dearness Allowance to the artisans travelling for various fairs or exhibitions within India.
State-run Goa Handicrafts Rural Small Scale Industries Development Corporation (GHRSSIDC) will be given the task to set up a website for developing e-marketing platform.
It will inform people and tourists what products are available and where, who has produced them, uniqueness of the artisans and other information related to the products.
The portal would provide facility to small artisans to register themselves to display their mercantile in the standard directory list, the document states.
The government would also identify dying crafts and traditions and impart training to artisans through master craftsmen. Those trained would then be provided suitable platforms to display their products.
"This will help in stall upgradation of local artisans as well as revive dying arts," the draft goes on to add.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore