Goa plans to brand handicrafts to revive cottage industry
Panaji: Goa government is mulling branding its handicrafts indigenously as part of an initiative to promote the cottage industry.
This is being mooted in the draft of the Goa Industrial cum Investment Policy which is in the final stages of preparation.
"A `Handmade in Goa` brand can be created with a logo which will characterise all Goan handmade products," the draft says.
Goa is known for its coconut and bamboo crafts among others.
The policy, on which public can give suggestions, says that Goa has a rich heritage of handicrafts and village industries to create employment avenues.
The document, a copy of which is available with PTI, states that the promotion of handicrafts will help growth of cottage industry, craftsmen, artisans and others.
The state government intends to construct a mall known as `Shilpagram` to facilitate selling of handicrafts that will "also act as a tourist attraction," the document states.
The government also plans to give Travelling Allowance and Dearness Allowance to the artisans travelling for various fairs or exhibitions within India.
State-run Goa Handicrafts Rural Small Scale Industries Development Corporation (GHRSSIDC) will be given the task to set up a website for developing e-marketing platform.
It will inform people and tourists what products are available and where, who has produced them, uniqueness of the artisans and other information related to the products.
The portal would provide facility to small artisans to register themselves to display their mercantile in the standard directory list, the document states.
The government would also identify dying crafts and traditions and impart training to artisans through master craftsmen. Those trained would then be provided suitable platforms to display their products.
"This will help in stall upgradation of local artisans as well as revive dying arts," the draft goes on to add.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai