Goa Police arrest two, bust carjacking racket
Panaji: A Mumbai resident is one of the two people arrested by the Goa Police, which on Tuesday claimed to have busted an inter-state carjacking racket.
A special police team arrested Rajeev Sharma from Mumbai and Nitish Ganesh Naik, a local person who also resides in Mumbai, and seized two stolen cars from them.
According to police inspector Jivba Dalvi, who carried out the investigation, the accused used to travel to Goa by bus, call "Rent a Car" service providers, hire two cars and drive them to Mumbai, where they would sell the vehicles.
This modus operandi was tried several times over, according to the police.
"We have recovered two cars and they have revealed the whereabouts of another car. Three car thefts registered in Goa have been solved following the arrests," Dalvi said, adding that leads to several more cars could also be in the offing.
"We arrested them at a toll post on the Goa-Maharashtra road, which they had to cross with the vehicles," Dalvi said, adding the duo used fake number-plates and duplicate identities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees