Goa police knew Atala was missing when Assembly was on
Panaji: Goa police apparently hid the
information about Israeli drug peddler Yaniv Benaim alias
Atala jumping bail, from the state Legislative Assembly when
it was in session recently.
Judicial Magistrate First Class, Mapusa, which was
hearing case against Atala for overstaying, had issued
non-bailable warrants against him on July 29, court sources
"The warrant was issued when he did not remain present
for the hearing before the court on July 29," court sources
The non bailable warrant was issued immediately and he
was asked to be presented before the court on August 5.
Goa Legislative Assembly session was in motion from July
17 to August 6.
State Home Minister Ravi Naik had made a statement on the
floor of the House on August 6 contending that investigation
in the police-drug peddler nexus case was being conducted
Police spokesman Atamaram Deshpande had told reporters on
Wednesday that police came to know that Atala was missing on
August 7, incidentally a day after assembly session was over.
Police in their statement had stated that Atala, an
important link in nexus between policemen and drug peddlers,
was last found to be staying in a hotel from June 24, 2010 to
July 13, 2010.
Seven policemen were arrested after Atala`s former
girlfriend Lucky Farmhouse uploaded a video on a social
networking site which showed former bragging about his
contacts with the police.
Atala was arrested on March 10, 2010 and sent to 14 days
police custody. He was given bail on June 21, 2010 on the
condition that he should inform police about his address.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015