Goa police knew Atala was missing when Assembly was on
Panaji: Goa police apparently hid the
information about Israeli drug peddler Yaniv Benaim alias
Atala jumping bail, from the state Legislative Assembly when
it was in session recently.
Judicial Magistrate First Class, Mapusa, which was
hearing case against Atala for overstaying, had issued
non-bailable warrants against him on July 29, court sources
"The warrant was issued when he did not remain present
for the hearing before the court on July 29," court sources
The non bailable warrant was issued immediately and he
was asked to be presented before the court on August 5.
Goa Legislative Assembly session was in motion from July
17 to August 6.
State Home Minister Ravi Naik had made a statement on the
floor of the House on August 6 contending that investigation
in the police-drug peddler nexus case was being conducted
Police spokesman Atamaram Deshpande had told reporters on
Wednesday that police came to know that Atala was missing on
August 7, incidentally a day after assembly session was over.
Police in their statement had stated that Atala, an
important link in nexus between policemen and drug peddlers,
was last found to be staying in a hotel from June 24, 2010 to
July 13, 2010.
Seven policemen were arrested after Atala`s former
girlfriend Lucky Farmhouse uploaded a video on a social
networking site which showed former bragging about his
contacts with the police.
Atala was arrested on March 10, 2010 and sent to 14 days
police custody. He was given bail on June 21, 2010 on the
condition that he should inform police about his address.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch