Goa Police say allowing CM at blast site not a security lapse
Panaji: Goa Police on Thursday said that allowing
Chief Minister Digamber Kamat to visit the site of the Margao
bomb blast within minutes of the explosion was not a security
"Allowing Chief Minister in the area after the blast was
not a lapse. As the head of the state, he is entitled to be
briefed about the situation," Superintendent of Police (PRO)
Atmaram Deshpande told reporters here.
"Being Chief Minister of the state and moreover as a
local MLA, he had to be there. We cannot call it as a security
lapse. If he had not come, we would have informed him
immediately about the incident," Deshpande said.
Kamat`s presence at Margao blast site on October 16
within minutes of the explosion had evoked strong reaction
from the Opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which had
termed it a serious security lapse.
Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar had alleged that
the police failed to follow the "blue book", which had to be
adhered to during such times.
The Diwali eve Margao blast, which was accidentally
triggered when two Sanatan Saunstha activists were ferrying
explosives on a scooter, happened few metres away from a
function where the chief minister was the guest.
Deshpande, ruled out that the police were not in control
of the situation after the blast and said it is the discretion
of officer in charge whether to allow any VIP at the site or
By the time the chief minister arrived, the blast had
already taken place and two more explosives were recovered. He
went after the incident when the situation was under control,
the Superintendent of Police said.
The state police, which failed to stop the crowded
`Narakasur Competition` being held near the blast site, even
one-and-a-half hour after the blast, claimed it had activated
the red-alert scheme post-explosion.
The red-alert scheme designed for Goa was activated
immediately after the blast and the alert in the state
continued till 3 am, a senior police official said.
He said that all police officers were geared up and
vehicles across the state were thoroughly checked.
Admitting that there were some errors in implementing the
scheme, a senior police official stated that these errors
would be rectified.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'